It can come out of nowhere… All of a sudden you are hit by another driver who wasn’t paying attention. The damage seems minor and you exchange insurance information with the other party and geo on with your day. But, do you really need to hire a lawyer after a minor car accident?
The answer is yes.
Once you leave the scene of a car accident, it becomes so much more difficult to get the facts straight. Even a minor car accident becomes murky. It’s important to remember that even if the damage to your vehicle is minor, you might have suffered injuries that are more severe than you think. At a minimum, it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer to learn about the legal options available.
In many cases, injuries that initially seem minor after car accidents may be more severe than people realize. Some injuries do not begin to show symptoms for days or even weeks after a collision. This delay is sometimes caused by the adrenaline that surges through your body in the aftermath of a collision.
Steps to Take After a Motor Vehicle Collision
It is common for people who are involved in accidents to be confused and uncertain about how to handle it. Here is a straightforward checklist that you can use if your vehicle is hit by another driver:
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Check yourself and others for injuries and render first aid if necessary.
- Exchange insurance, registration, and driver’s license information with the other driver.
- Ask for the other driver’s contact information.
- Photograph the damage to both vehicles and the accident scene.
- Photograph your injuries.
- Ask witnesses for their names and contact information.
- Ask the police officer who responds to write a report.
- Seek medical attention.
- Contact an attorney at Killian Law Group for a free case review.
A personal injury claim arising from a motor vehicle accident takes determination and time to resolve successfully. People who retain personal injury lawyers are much more likely to recover compensation in an amount that covers their losses.